Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Cross training wheels

I hit the streets for a 1 hour, 15 mn, hilly ride. It was windy as all get out: At one point, I was pushing tiny gears just to keep my legs moving. Traffic was abomidable in Glendale and Burbank. It's taken me a year, but I'm finally comfortable with cars whizzing by me, but today, a few came too close for comfort, and with the wind rattling me around in my aero-bars, I felt like getting sucked into a swerving SUV would be relatively easy, if I let it happen.

I'm implementing cycling 1 day/week in my training at my PT's suggestion. Apparently, studies have shown that there's a point of diminishing returns when running 5 days/week, and runners that bicycled once a week actually became stronger runners than those who ran exclusively.

But biking is as far as I go. It'll be a chilly race day at Badwater before you see me in a pool...without some fruity drink in hand.

No comments: